Saturday, August 5

A Mystery Explained!

I've always wondered why I can hear a TV when it's on, whether there's any volume or not--there's this high-frequency noise they emit that very few people I've talked to can hear, and it drives me nuts. So I was reading the comments for a Slashdot article and discovered this:

It's the flyback transformer in your set making that noise - a very loud 15.75 KHz tone. I'm almost 40 years old and haven't taken real good care of my hearing, and it still bugs the hell out of me. One solution to the noise problem is to get a non-CRT television set (plasma, LCD, DLP, etc.).

Interesting stuff. I have no idea what a flyback transformer is, but I guess this is just another reason to justify the eventual purchase of a ridiculous television. (yay)

4 comments:

Trisha said...

This post is further evidence that one can truly rationalize almost anything. This rationalization is more creative than most that I have recently heard for those really costly "investments" that salesmen like to tell me about when all I want is ink for my printer. Good luck with your impending purchase.

Anonymous said...

Hah. I can hear that buzz too, pretty annoying when my parents turn off their satellite tv (so the screen goes blank) but leave the tv itself on!

Of course, there is the option of not having a tv, that too leads to the path of no flyback transformers.

Zach said...

No TV? Now you're just being silly.

Anonymous said...

I've always heard that noise too! It's probably why I get headaches at work. Right? Not only is this a rationalization for my own purchase, I should be able to convince the powers that be that we should all have flat screen monitors.