Thursday, June 16

What goes around...

As long as I've had access to the web, people have been able to self-publish websites, ranging from mediocre one-pagers with photos of family and pets to major endeavors with complex navigation and graphics. In those early days, the super-sites had yet to really be established as main sources for news and entertainment, so I found myself browsing personal Geocities sites.

As a matter of course, the super-sites with their professional (and spell-checked) content quickly eclipsed personal sites and became the staple of my web surfing. As surrogate newspapers and magazines, they quickly scooped any competing personal sites.

We've come full circle. Blogs and forums have brought the focus back to the small-scale content. I still read news sites and DVD sites and such, but once I'm done reading blogs for the day, there's almost nothing else that compels me to keep reading.

Blog sites and software have made self-published content fast and easy. Simple feedback systems have made us bold in demanding new content from our entertaining anonymous friends. We are no longer dealing with sealed off mega-sites to get the bulk of our entertainment and enrichment. Our blog friends, both the faceless and the dear, have become the new staple.

Cool.

No comments: